The best field hockey mouthguards should be on the top list of anyone’s field hockey shopping. It is the dream of every player to grow and glow in their game while maintaining a clean dental formula. This comes with a lot of sacrifice and determination.
This means one has to do several things like investing in quality equipment. In the field hockey world, the case is not different. A field hockey player will need quality equipment for both the play and protection such as the best elbow pads.
A field hockey mouthguard is an essential protective gear for every hockey player. No one wants to lose his or her teeth just for a score. How will we smile after the game? Hockey sticks are there and used with a good amount of energy to keep the ball going. Unfortunately, when this energized hockey stick lands on your mouth, then boom, you have not teeth. It is therefore advisable to always have a mouthguard while playing.
Some players may complain of field hockey mouth guards been uncomfortable and bulky. Others could not speak in them. Now speak of technology which has advanced and still is advancing the comfort and lightness of the field hockey mouth guards. They are light and safer than never before. They also have great taste and are non-chewable.
Amidst the very many field hockey mouth guard brands in the market, we all admit it is a hard task to settle for the best. Therefore, we decided to review the different field hockey mouth guards and came up with a list of the top 6 best field hockey mouthguards.
Top 6 Best Field Hockey Mouth Guards
The following are the top best field hockey mouth guards which according to our research and review are worth every coin you sacrifice on.
This is one of the most recent and best field hockey mouth guards with advanced technology in the SISU Guard making company. In simple terms, it’s one of the best mouth guards the company has ever made.
The mouthguard can be used in different sports like hockey, basketball, soccer, lacrosse, roller derby, and many more. Therefore, it becomes the most popular mouthguard in today’s market.
It is also popular due to its favorable features like ultra-light and ultra-slim. This translates to more comfort, easy breathing, and talking.
Features of SISU Mouthguard
- It is ultra-thin and ultra-slim
- It comes at 1.6mm in measurement, which translates to 50% thinner than the other standard mouth guards.
- Made of highly absorbent material and Diffusix technology that helps in impact absorption and distribution thus preventing injuries
- The quick, re-moldable, and custom fit helps in the comfort of the mouthguard that even the player can forget of having it in his or her mouth
- The ultra-thin and slim are a plus for this mouthguard
- Diffusix technology used in making the guard helps in impact absorption and distribution thus protecting the teeth from injuries
- It is quick to fit and re-moldable
- A player can easily communicate and breath while in this mouthguard
- This mouthpiece can be used by a player who has braces
- It comes at a premium price
- Other hockey players have their taste in the thicker models
The Shock Doctor Gel Max mouthpiece also tops among the best field hockey mouthguards. It offers great comfort and protection. It uses a convertible tether which makes it possible to use the mouthguard either strapless or strapped.
The Shock Doctor is a brand by itself that is ranking for its use of advanced technology in making quality products and thus meeting the needs of the athletes. Max Gel is one of the quality products from the brand.
Features of Shock Doctor
- Uses the Gel-fit Liner Technology which provides more protection and comfort.
- It comes in integrated channels for breathing which makes it easy for the player to breathe. The triple-layer design helps to secure the teeth while increasing the durability and protection of the mouthpiece
- It has a great Exoskeletal shock frame that provides protection to the full mouth in a situation of hardest impacts. This means protecting the tongue, cheeks, teeth grinding, and ensuring the teeth remain in place.
- It is recommended for all sports that require a player to have a mouth guard-like wrestling, boxing, and football. In comes with a helmet strap for football which is detachable
- The Gel-fit Liner Technology provides protection and comfort
- The mouth guard comes in a variety of colors which gives the player a chance to choose their favorite color
- Has the option of been used either with a strap or strapless
- Easy breathing while with this mouthguard
- Has a good taste which is as a result of the flavored options
- Offers protection to the whole mouth
- It can be comfortably used in all sports requiring a mouth guide
- This mouthguard cannot be used with braces
- It comes at a high price
This one of the extraordinary best field hockey mouth guards in the market. It is designed to allow excellent airflow and great performance for the player. It comes with a convertible strap.
The front part has a hole which gives the player maximum breathability. Many of the other mouthguards do not have this feature. The mouthpiece comes with a whole $5000 warrant for dental. This is a clear indication of its quality of great protection.
Features of Battle Oxygen Mouthguard
- Patented design that grasps SCUBA breathing innovations
- Front hole (large) for enhancing breathability
- Comes with a convertible strap
- Ability to work with braces
- Absorber frame to shield
- Offers maximum breathability during play
- Does not require boiling
- It can work with braces
- Comes with an absorber shield that offers more protection
- It comes with a convertible strap which can be used to attach it to the helmet
- It is expensive
- Not suitable for players with a simple preference
The Shock doctor 3300 Max air flow guard is one of the best field hockey mouth guards offering a maximum flow of oxygen. It is designed with air channels that are capable of allowing 10% more capacity flow.
The design also helps in relaxing the jaw and making sure that the teeth do not block the breathing channel thus adding the flow capacity.
Features of Shock Doctor 3300
- It is made of proprietary shock doctor polymers, flexible and integral bite pads which ensures easy no-mold fit and max comfort
- Airflow breathing channels which ensure maximum oxygen flow
- BPA free, Latex free and Phthalate free
- The easily released strap enables the guard to be used either strapped or strapless
- Capable of allowing 10% more of air capacity flow with its’ breathing channel
- It can work with braces
- It is qualified for both national and high school use
- Comes with $50,000 Warranty for the Dental
- It is comfortable to use
- Comes in limited design
The Teeth Armor sports mouthguard is a pocket-friendly model. The price is quite favorable in regard to the value offered by this mouthpiece.
This brand has limited color options and also designs. Someone looking for a more affordable mouth guard could be a better option in the market.
- It is made up of absorbent and thick technology which offers great protection
- Favorable pricing
- Comes with a $32000 warrant for dental
- It has an inbuilt strap which could be a no for some players
- Comes in limited design and color
This could be favorable to players familiar with the Shock Doctor Brand. It is affordable just like any other mouthguard of its quality.
Unfortunately, this mouthguard is not designed with an air hole. It comes with an additional lip guard to protect your lips. This mouthpiece also comes with some unique color of Vegas Gold which is easily noticeable.
- Very affordable
- It has a unique color
- Comes with an additional lip protector
- Do not come with a dental warrant
- Has no air hole
Factors to consider when selecting and buying a good field hockey mouthguard
When hunting for a good mouth guard, you need to consider a lot of factors before investing in one. Among the many factors, here are some of the most basic to every player;
1. Shock absorption ability
Any good mouthguard will have the ability or technology of absorbing the shock so as to protect the full mouth. To achieve this, many mouthguards are made of thick materials that separate the bottom and top teeth thus no biting or teeth grinding can occur. It also acts as a shock absorber.
Protection is a key feature for a mouth guard but comfort is also very important. A good mouthguard will offer both protection and comfort. Comfort comes in terms of fitting, breathability, molding, extra. Consider comfort when purchasing a mouthguard.
Mouthguards may come with the option of using them either when strapped or strapless. This will depend on your individual preference. If you are the kind of person who misplaces their things then it would work better if you consider a strapped mouthguard.
Why do field hockey players wear mouthguards
a) Teeth Protection
The most basic and primary role of a mouth guard is to protect your natural teeth from damage which turns out to be very expensive. I have witnessed it all from broken and chipped teeth to those falling off to the ground after a bad hit either bu a hockey stick or a raised hockey ball. Consider saving the dental bill and some unimaginable pain by having a mouth guard, it will only cost you a few dollars as compared to dental bills. No one wants to lose their teeth, no one wants to have such a look of no teeth and a young and energetic stage.
b) Jaw protection
The mouth guard acts as a shock absorber for any impact on the face that can lead to jaw and teeth damage. Sometimes with high speed while playing accidents happen to leave your head badly hit.
c) Lips protection
Some mouth guards come with an additional part for shielding your lips from damage. Even if not all mouthguards have this part a number of them do have it. It is upon the player to know which type of mouthguard they prefer.
It is our hope that until this point you have more knowledge concerning the best field hockey mouth guards from different types of mouthguards, how to select a mouthguard, and finally its importance.
The mouth guards are as important as any other protective gear your wear during your sports. Considering buying one of the mouth guards will be a great favor to you. You will be trying to secure your teeth, brain, and jaw from shock damage and at the same time saving your pocket from very high bills for dental repair.